This researched work employs system engineering and system management principles to analyze the problem of transactions in Nigerian universities and tertiary institutions. System management principles was used to highlight the imperfections in the transaction method currently in use especially the disconnect between the bank and the institutions using their services. It will explore other payments systems available in the country. This project will provide recommendations of how to implement a better payment option through automating the process of school payments by using a system with a cloud-based educational software at school bursary office and through the online payment processing on the school website. The system software will enable cashiering and payment management: centralized data, automated reports and inventory controls. It will generate automatic invoices and receipts. This system will bridge the disconnect between the bank and the school since students would not need to deposit cash directly into school accounts but into their personal accounts and then pay with their debit cards. The system will provide debit card encryption and protection using the Secure Socket Layer technology.
- This work demonstrates the application of Systems Engineering to enhance an IT process.
- Within my home country of Nigeria, advanced education institutions would benefit from an enhanced tuition management system.
- Physical safety of students (eliminate the threat of robbery/violence)
- Minimize time lost in manual intensive transactions
- Provide an opportunity for additional revenue for institutions (via structured payments/time value of money).
- Mitigate the opportunity for corruption within administrators.
- This study employs a SE methodology to define the problem, identify key stakeholders, MOEs, alternatives, AOA, requirements/verification, et al.
The use of key concepts from lean, ethics, and architectural design are also included in this work. Finally, this work addresses scholarly research which revealed specialized SE processes specifically targeted to implementing IT-centric solutions